Sunday 5 April 2009

Camp warming

This weekend the Tsa Ha camp rocked. We had a camp warming party, oh yes, it was all happening here. I don't think I've mentioned before that this is a brand new camp: Anna and Graham only moved here two days before I arrived (their last campside was going to have a backpackers built to it, so they moved). So it was time to warm up the camp properly. (I was going to say christen, but the camp already has a name: Tsa ha meaning 'too much water' - which we only found out last week - which makes perfect sense seeing it looks like we will be badly flooded in the next few weeks. Friday was our last day crossing the flood plain by car, it's going to be by boat from now on).

We had lots of guests: four people all the way from Maun came for the whole weekend, and another nine locals and their guests popped by, plus one dog. It was fun: lots of food, beer, wine, shotguns (don't ask), lots of dancing in the moonlight. Most of the guests stayed over for the night, and we partied - wait for this - until midnight! That is late by everyone's standards, including mine believe it or not. The hippos escaped to the other side of the lagoon for the night, but came back this morning. I missed them - I've grown very fond of them. It was nice to have all those people here this weekend, but in a long run I prefer to have just the hippos around. A lot of people and a lot of noise don't belong to this place. It's hard to explain, and I won't even try until I've fully figured it out.

I've been here for over two weeks now, and I've not missed the 'civilisation' once yet. We have everything we need here: great food, fire to heat water with, a solar panel to charge batteries with, and we're in one of the most beautiful places on this planet. It's easy to forget that there's a whole other world out there with all sorts of issues and problems - here there isn't much to worry about. We're completely cut from the outside world, but I've now even started to get over the initial frustration of not being able to access Internet. I'm still writing this in the hope that one day I might be able to post it, even though it's started to feel like a long monologue rather than a blog.

5 comments:

Magster said...

brilliant blog eeva, I've laughed out loud many times! but how do you access the internet then?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I was wondering about that internet too. Did you upload all posts in one go somewhat recently, or was it my RSS reader on N810 that tied itself up in a knot and didn't show anything new for a while?

Really would love to see that night sky far far away from all the light pollution! Thought I found 2/3 of the places mentioned in the elephant research web pages, but it would be nice to get a coordinate of the campsite area as the river delta seems to be really huge (and those folks at Google wouldn't need to worry why someone went zooming into Botswana all of a sudden).

I enjoy this blog as much as Central America last year, really great!. It seems to be Easter now, so Hauskaa Pääsiäistä sinnepäin! On my behalf I'll need to figure out whether one spoonful of mämmi will be enough for me this year - but somehow I think mämmi is one thing you won't miss out there... :-)

Rajveen Gill said...

Hi - I've just finished reading your last updates. I loved the funny school trip story. Do you ever get to see elephants bathing, and showering themselves with their trunks? That seems to be my romantic vision of elephants in the wild!
So what's going to happen to the camp when the water levels increase? Will you have to move?
I've just got back from my surf trip in Spain. It was great fun and so nice to be away from work. The area we were staying in had cheap snowboarding lessons about 90 mins drive away, so it would be nice to do a combined surf/snowboard trip next year!
P.S. If you have any info on seeing your camp in google earth that would be great.
Happy elephant hunting!

Unknown said...

Great blog, dearest! Just came home from London, pity we couldn't meet!

Eeva said...

Thanks for all your comments, will reply when get a chance! The camp is close to a village called Gunitsoga, about 20km from Seronga. Will try to get the GPS cordinates / Google Earth link next time. Internet connection is via a mobile modem trhough a cellphone network - extremely slow and unreliable and it doesn't help that we don't actually have signal at camp so can only use it occassionally when out and about. :-)